Telephone from the 1930s
CCC constructed fire trails, lookout towers, and telephone lines. Though built primarily to aid in fire suppression and prevention, telephone lines also were used by nearby rural residents. CCC men rebuilt the fire lookout tower at Bear Mountain in 1939. At some periods in the 30s CCC also manned the lookout towers in many locations.
Photos from the Civilian Conservation Corps projects occasionally show the types of radio equipment and telephones in use at the time. The CCC Museum of South Dakota has an actual telephone from those days on display. While younger visitors aren't sure what to make of the "contraption" most of the "more mature" crowd know right away and often wonder how many were on this particular party line.