Category: History  Listing Date: 2015-06-22
CCC Camps in 1933
List of first the CCC Camps. Some of them received "Bird Cages" from the US Post Office.
|Table 1. Camps Established and Companies Assembled in 1933 (1934).|
|All the camps were located in a national forest or on state-owed land, and the initials F for those in the forests and S for those on state land were used in camp designation numbers.|
|F-2||Horse Creek||791||Hill City|
|F-9||Hill City||793||Hill City|
|* Enrollees from North Dakota|
|** Enrollees from Nebraska|
|Derschied, Lyle A. "The Civilian Conservation Corps in South Dakota, 1933-1942." Brookings, SD, South Dakota State University Foundation Press, 1986. No longer in print. Available at some libraries but may not be checked-out.|
The U.S. Post Office had transferred a number of old wire-cage, Liberty motor driven trucks to the army at Fort Snelling, MN.
These were assigned to CCC duty in the Black Hills and driven to Fort Meade where they were immediately dubbed "bird cages."